Here is a step by step guide for retrieving data from the 2010 Census. You can download the PDF here, or follow the steps as listed below.
Also, be sure to visit the Metro Chicago Information Center's Public Purpose Initiative library.* They allow you to "learn more about the community" with neighborhood data.
*An account is required, but it is free to create.
1. Go to American Fact Finder (this link opens directly to the "Search" feature):
2. You MUST choose the YEAR you wish to search FIRST! Do so by choosing YEAR under "Topics" menu on the left sidebar:
3. Choose “Geographies" from the left side toolbar:
(When you click Geographies, a separate box will pop up on your screen.)
4. Type in the Zip Code you would like to search and click "GO" (or use the Geographic Type filter options listed in the side bar):
5. Select the Zip Code you would like to search and “ADD” it to your working list:
6. Add Additional Topics/Population Groups (optional)
7. Click on the report you wish to view: