This exercise will take you through everything you need to know to complete the Library Research Assignment. Follow the steps in the order they are presented.
1. Watch this video to see how to find help from the Roosevelt Library
2. The ENG 102 Library Guide provides you with shortcuts to links for finding information. Many of the materials are discussed in the videos for the library research assignment.
3. Follow these steps to complete the Library Research Worksheet:
4. This video explains the process of narrowing your topic. While it is important to narrow the topic, it is also possible that your topic is too narrow. Watch the video to assist you in the research process. After you have watched the video, fill in the Topic Chart on the Library Research Assignment.
5. You will be required to find scholarly articles to support your research paper. This tutorial will help you determine whether or not an article is considered scholarly. Make sure to put your name and your professor's name so you receive credit for completing the tutorial.
Scholarly vs Non-scholarly Tutorial
6. Now that you have finished the tutorial, we will see how well you can determine whether or not an article is considered scholarly. Once again, make sure you put in your name and your professor's name to make sure you receive credit for completing this activity.
Scholarly vs Non-scholarly Check for Understanding
7. The next step is to determine a good, Library Research Question by doing the following tutorial:
8. Finding Search Terms (Keywords) for searching library databases
9. Using Boolean Operators
10. Now it is time to find synonyms and sources for your paper. You will be using Academic Search Complete to begin this process. Watch the video to find out how to find synonyms or related terms and sources from Academic Search Complete. Do the following:
11. The next place to find an article is in ProQuest Central.
12. Find a Subject-Related Database